Saturday, August 3, 2013

Creative Juices flowing....

If you have ever eaten at The Colonial B&B at Stamford NY...you know we love to mix things up a bit...a splash of love, fun, kindness and a whole lot of herbs and spices...but rarely too spicey!!!  But when we have Caribbean customers who are used to a little more UMPH...you know a little more KABOOM.. then we step it up a notch and make sure to have plenty of BONNET PEPPERS and Fresh Ginger on hand...cause nothing says Caribbean cuisine than those two ingredients...ok..many more ingredients but these two are a must!!!!  Before I share one of our favorite Caribbean dishes...allow me to share my heart this morning, as I looked out my back yard
came to mind a book I read and convinced I must read again called Just One Thing by Dr. Rick Hanson which then triggered something my pastor shared once....you see the book essentially is about doing simple little things consistently...one thing daily...creates a habit..repetition the mother of skill.  One act of kindness, love,  taking the time to listen... its like a seed that you plant which you water daily and as it grows, you prune a little so that it can grow straighter and healthier.  As you care for it on a daily basis, it grows strong deep roots..so that when the storms of life come..and we know storms always come...like a tree...it may lose a couple of leafs (in my case gain more gray hairs) but so firmly planted that it will stand tall and weather many more storms.  My pastor shared, depositing into the emotional account of your mate, your children, your family...so that when the occasional withdrawals occur, just because we are fallible and will make mistakes, there are sufficient reserves to handle it.  So..I will set out to thank two people on this blog today.. my Chef Johnas...I never thought I would meet someone who can outwork me...and Chef Johnas certainly can put my work ethic to the test.  I appreciate him.  And he has believed in me, encouraged me, supports my vision and helps me meet my goals...I love you Pa.  And to my son Dominick.  Dominick is growing up to be an amazing young man.  He is a teenager figuring life out...but one of my strongest and loyal cheerleader...he has stepped up to help us at the Bed and Breakfast many times...he is slowly learning the level of service we offer our clients by cleaning the bathrooms, vacuuming rugs and making beds...he is an amazing young man and I am so proud that he is my son...

Ok back to you...thank you for allowing me to indulge in sharing my love and appreciation for my Chef Johnas and my Dominator (my son Dominick).    One of my most favorite Caribbean dishes is Jerk Chicken...now...my version is good (just saying...) but no one does it like Mr. Keith Lorren...so here is his instructional video of how to make this mouth watering delish spicy dish... Keith Lorren Rocks...(maybe when we perfect our version of Jerk Chicken..Mr. Lorren and us can have a live cookoff...what do you think?)

Happy Cooking...

YIKES!!!  I almost forgot..theme music for the day!!! 
Nothing puts you in the mood for Jerk Chicken other than.....
Stir it up!!!!

Siempre, Chef Johnas's Dominican Chica,
Flerida

No comments:

Post a Comment